The single most important factor in the success of plastic surgery is the surgeon you select. That is why you need to know about the qualifications and the experience of Dr. Joseph Mlakar (known to his patients as “Dr. Joe”).
“Dr. Joe” is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery since 1994. Since beginning his plastic surgery practice in Fort Wayne in 1996, “Dr. Joe” has served as the director/co-director of the St. Joseph Hospital Regional Burn Center (1996-2006) and as the St. Joseph Hospital Chief of Surgery (2000-2006). He is also a co-founder of the Kids-First Cleft/Craniofacial Clinics, a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare professionals who are dedicated to the treatment and care of children with birth anomalies.
“Dr. Joe” has extensive experience in performing facial and nasal cosmetic surgery, breast enhancement, and body contouring, as well as breast reduction, breast reconstruction, and pediatric reconstructive surgery. He believes that good communication is the key to a successful outcome and is happy to answer all of your questions.
- Listed in "America's Top Plastic Surgeons" and "America's Top Surgeons" (2010) by the Consumers Research Council of America
- Listed in "Top Doctors in Fort Wayne" (2008) by Upstate Indiana Business Journal
- Recipient of the American Medical Association's Physician's Recognition Award
- Recipient of the Bausch and Lomb Science Award
- Recipient of the Golden Scalpel Award
- Won clinical teaching awards as an outstanding plastic surgeon in Michigan, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Indiana
- Completed a six-year BS/MD program - Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (1985)
- Completed a combined general surgery/plastic surgery residency - Michigan State University and Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan (1990)
- Completed an advanced fellowship training in Burn Surgery and Critical Care - University of Texas Medical Branch (1991)
- Completed an advanced fellowship training in Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery - University of Southern California, Los Angeles Children’s Hospital (1992)
Plastic Surgery Innovations
9933 Dupont Circle Drive, West, Suite 120
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
Phone: (260) 490-HOPE
Toll Free: (877) 565-2527